You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-18 5:07 pm

NeoFox
Website

Re: Unfortunately we can not process your request now due to problems ...

If that Papa Parrot forum gets some traffic you could turn it into a honeypot. yikes

#27 2018-04-18 6:09 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

That probably should be a new topic, in the "tech" board, (not viewable by guests and any one not logged in)
But any way,

I don't expect it will have much traffic, at this time, the main reason I started it was just to test this extension and see if I had the same problem, but  couldn't duplicate the problem.
The error messages are deceptive, because they give the impression the SFS data base is down, when it isn't.
On the other hand, it is good that if and when for what ever reason it can not check a registration credentials, it does not let the person register.
Something I did have some trouble with, if a post has been approved, it can not be submitted using the extension. It will say :

Error

Unfortunately we can not process your request now due to problems with an external party. You can try again later.

I found that the only time I can submit a spam post is before it is approved, while it is still in moderation "bin",
which is ok, but it had me confused for a little bit.
======= edit ========
I think I will leave it open for registrations for now, on the others there is no field for registration,  so even if someone was genuinely interested in the birds and other topics, they are not likely to register, I would enjoy it if there were some other members that shared the same interests, so I may keep it open/normal for a while.
But I don't expect any interest either, there are several forums on parrots, that all ready come up in search results, etc. The problem I have with them, is they are all way to full of advertisements, (essentially spam) but paid, using the excuse the adds, etc are necessary to pay for the hosting, etc.  Apology to the OP, we are getting way off topic.  The OP has not been back, it would be nice to know if they found a solution, and  what
the problem actually was.

#28 2018-04-18 10:10 pm

RobLatour

I am still here ... and the problem continues ... I have been PMing RMcGirr83 on the other board.  He has not been able to recreate the problem, I have not been able to do anything but recreate the problem.  Currently, I am trying to schedule a time when he can test with my site - currently, I have the option "Allow if Stop Forum Spam is down" set to "Yes" or I wouldn't get any new registrations, I have to switch it to "no" for RMcGirr83 to test and see the problem.

Last edited by RobLatour (2018-04-18 10:10 pm)

#29 2018-04-18 10:58 pm

sklerder
Website

Hello !

Well, I think you should :
- Read all the topic previous post
- Answer to questions already asked

At minima, I think you should (it's more or less asked in the topic)  :
- Try "sfsdiag"
- Post information about your Web Services Provider and your hosting

My feeling is that we're according to say that the plugin is well functioning, but you may be impacted by your hosting.

#30 2018-04-19 11:01 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

It blocked  this spammer,today:

185.59.140.98 	Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:11 am 	Stop Forum Spam triggered:
Username: Dentalmub
IP: 185.59.140.98
Email: dentalsuper2017@gmail.com

That is the first real one it has blocked.
@ RobLatour
Have you looked in the Maintenance > Error Log, .... does it not say anything ?

#31 2018-04-19 11:21 pm

RobLatour

My Maintenace > Error Log says "No log entries.".

I have been in contact with my website hosting company this evening.  They are going to coordinate with me an upgrade of my server from a server running CentOS5 to CentOS7 to see if that helps.  Not sure how long this will take, but I will post here when complete and say if it made a difference or not.

#32 2018-04-19 11:41 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Ah ah, ok, that is a big clue knowing it is CENTOS,  I have one server powered with CentOS, and practically 0 experience with it, but I also did have some problems when I set up the fluxBB forum, similar couldn't access
SFS to make submissions, and also couldn't see any of the php files, programs. 
They will need to make some "provisions" because of the SELinux  , and had to make adjustments, it is kind of complicated:
https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SELinux
The hosting techs should know what to do.
==== edited ===
In fact just a few days (maybe it was a week), I could not access the site, and I noticed about 24 hours had gone by, and nothing submitted / reported here,... well at first I was baffled, but then when I saw that the server had shut-down and rebooted,  I remembered a comment about :

The 'setenforce' command may be used to switch between Enforcing and Permissive modes on the fly but note that these changes do not persist through a system reboot.

Since I had not used the 'setenforce' command, my settings were not persistent, and I had to do that over again.
Any way , your support techs should know what to do.

#33 2018-04-20 9:39 pm

RobLatour

Thank you - that is good feedback - I have emailed my hosting provider with it - we'll see what they say.

#34 2018-04-20 10:57 pm

sklerder
Website

Hi !

Please keep us in touch !
If we don't have any feedback, we won't be able to help anyone encountering such issues ...

#35 2018-04-22 8:25 pm

RobLatour

Success.

After my website host provider moved my site to another machine running CentOS7 instead of CentOS5 - and waiting for 24 hours for the internet to catch up all its pointers around the world - I no longer get the error when the option "Allow if Stop Forum Spam is down" set to "No".

Thanks very much to all those involved!

#36 2018-04-22 9:44 pm

Papa Parrot
Website

Well that's good.....

Board footer