You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-09 4:34 am

sdyk3000

Question about email addresses/domains

I've heard about SFS some time ago as I have a couple of message boards as well as a website. I'm trying to have an area on my website where users have to be registered and logged in to view. I've had some issues with Recaptcha (although wouldn't help much for Human Spammers) so I've decided to manually approve them.

My question is: is it possible to report whole domain or would I actually have to report every sub-domain as well? I've had 2 "Registrars" with an email address and when I looked up the subdomain there were over 100 in SFS Database.

It would be nice if I could just report the domain rather than every email with said domain. If this isn't possible, I guess I could live with that.

Thanks.

#2 2018-08-09 9:14 am

Alex Kemp
Website

Re: Question about email addresses/domains

Hi sdyk3000, welcome to SFS.

We require 3 pieces of information on reports with an optional 4th:

1. Username

2. Qualified email address

3. IP address

4. Evidence of spam (optional)

As you can tell by that list, not one of them has a 'subdomain', so I do not know what you mean.

#3 2018-08-09 2:16 pm

kpatz

He might be referring to subdomains in email address... such as user@subdomain.domain.tld.  Should he query (or submit) with or without the subdomain part.

Of course, the correct answer is to query, and (if appropriate due to spam) submit the exact email address provided, so if there's a subdomain in it, leave it there.

If you do submit a spammer to the database, you have to ensure the email address is valid and belongs to the spammer.  Normally this is done by sending a verification email to the address and requiring the user to respond by clicking an activation link inside the email before they're allowed to post.

Then, if a user registers, receives their activation email, activates their account, and then posts spam or adds spam links to their profile or signature, you can then submit their info to the database.

This does raise a question for Pedigree though:  If a domain (example.tld) is marked toxic in the database, will queries to emails with subdomains under the toxic domain return a hit (i.e. spammer@subdomain.example.tld)?

Last edited by kpatz (2018-08-09 2:19 pm)

Spam happens when greed meets stupidity.

#4 2018-08-09 4:43 pm

sdyk3000

Sorry if I was too vague.

I do know I need to add the domain to the report. I just wanted to know if If it's possible to do all email addresses in bulk using said domain. If not, it doesn't really matter.

Again, I did a check on this domain and came up with over 100 results.

Also, this domain isn't like gmail or yahoo or anything like that anyway.

Anyway, on my website I blocked the whole domain anyway so if I'd have to do each email individually that won't do me good at the moment.

Thanks anyway. Next time I'll take a closer look.

Board footer