You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-01 11:38 am

HeadChef51

Hello SFS

I am the webmaster for theEcook.com and am getting spammed by these ingrates. I came across your forum as I was checking out 211.158.21.152 through google. Your Forum was the first that came up on google's search. I run phpbb3 on theEcook.com as a forum for recipes and was checking out my newest member's IP. Whois would not identify tytiiiore's IP as a .cn so I ran the IP through google and found that the new wisdom, of the information age, that "Google is your friend" is very true. However this particular spammer uses a gmail email addy, tytiiio@gmail.com

Thanks for all that you do and keep up the good work.

HeadChef51 cool

Last edited by HeadChef51 (2008-09-01 11:39 am)

#2 2008-09-01 3:02 pm

keg

Re: Hello SFS

HeadChef51 wrote:

Whois would not identify tytiiiore's IP as a .cn so I ran the IP through google and found that the new wisdom, of the information age, that "Google is your friend" is very true. However this particular spammer uses a gmail email addy, tytiiio@gmail.com
HeadChef51 cool

Hi HeadChef51. As you've noted this is a quite useful resource.

A couple of comments. Unless you're requiring email activation, you don't know whether the above is a valid email address or just something made up. Enough boards don't require validating email by activation and emailing a password that spammers can often get by with invalid addresses. The other method is trying a search on the email here, and if it doesn't show up, using the link to a Google search that Russ has provided.

Whois does a good job of checking the IP you gave, but you have to use the right "whois" server. Whois is regional, not global. There are regional servers for the U.S. and Canada (whois.arin.net), Europe (whois.ripe.net), Asia (whois.apnic.net), Latin America and the Caribbean (whois.lacnic.net), and Africa (whois.afrinic.net). There's even a national whois server for Korea (whois.krnic.net) that will give somewhat more information than the APNIC server. The ARIN server is pretty good about telling you what server an IP is under if it's outside the ARIN region. A regional server may note that its information is a partial copy from a more detailed national server.

I check a lot of the IPs I see from my PC using WS Pingpack Pro, so I've been more conscious of the server selection than I might have been otherwise. The "NICs" also have web interfaces, just replace the "whois" at the front with "www" and use your browser.

#3 2008-09-04 12:00 am

HeadChef51

Re: Hello SFS

Thanks for the info Keg.

Board footer