You are not logged in.

#1 2023-06-05 2:02 pm

LPSG

Can I whitelist an email domain?

Hi,

I help run a forum using SFS / XenForo.

Our policies allow for temp email addresses, and I was wondering if there is a way to whitelist some of the bigger providers of these so that the flags for them don't show up in our approval queue?

I know this might be counter-intuitive to some best practices around good/bad emails to allow for new account creation, but there is a margin we'd be willing to accept if it helps slim down what we process in our approval queue each day.

TIA smile

#2 2023-06-05 8:33 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Re: Can I whitelist an email domain?

Hi LPSG, welcome to SFS.

If you look at the API Usage page you will see that it is possible to set the search to ignore ALL email addressees by including a "&nobademail" token (no quotes) within the search URL. However, in my view there is zero point in searching if you do not include email as an item to search for.

I think that the SFS server load would rise exponentially if such custom checks as you desired were provided.

I would have thought that the best way for you to do what you want would be by customising your copy of XenForo. Place a whitelist of acceptable email addresses on the server & lines of code to not issue a SFS search if the email is found within the whitelist. That would provide the exceptions that you desire, and you are going to need to make custom coding for XenForo regardless of how what you want is provided.

Maybe our admin (pedigree) or another user can see a better solution.

#3 2023-06-05 9:12 pm

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

at the moment, its either whitelist locally or bypass domain blacklisting as Alex states... now saying that, I have code in the new v2 API that would allow you to do this but its not something that I can backport with any ease

what domains are you looking at whitelisting?

#4 2023-06-05 10:22 pm

LPSG

Thanks! I had a feeling that it was an all or nothing prospect, but I thought I would ask if there was a way to locally whitelist certain ones.

@pedigree - Just some of the more commonly used throwaway / 1-time email services. I know they get abused, but there are a few that are common go-to's that historically our members have used (we're in the adult realm, so there's a margin for discretion that we account for that other boards might not). mailinator.com and this other funky one named sharklasers are two who are associated with some of our legit historical member accounts.

Regarding a customization, my developer actually brought this up in our weekly meeting as well. smile

#5 2023-06-06 12:05 am

pedigree

i'm slammed with my job (the one that pays the bills) but DM me some details here and I'll see what I can do

#6 2023-06-06 2:51 am

Alex Kemp
Website

Using the Search page:

• Found 238 entries for "@mailinator.com"
    (toxic: "bad" email domain)

• Found 232 entries for "@sharklasers.com"
    (toxic: "bad" email domain)

Hey ho.

Do what you want on your own site, of course, but I see no way in which most admin would ever wish to see such domains allowed to roam free across their site.

#7 2023-06-06 2:53 am

pedigree

mailinator and sharklasers arent blacklisted but i do know that several thousand others are because they appeared in google results below stopforumspam results

Board footer