You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-24 10:06 pm

JesterMagic

Listed IP Addresses Legacy Zip file Missing SPAM IP Addresses?

I've been downloading the bannedips.zip from the downloads page Listed IP Addresses (Legacy) section for years and the file always was over 2MB (usually I think about 2.2MB) and was larger some weeks and smaller others.

All IPs in CSV (one line, comma seperated) - Updated once per day

This last 8 months or so though that file size has been dropping at least a couple KB a week. It was at 1677kb last week and I see this week it is at 1673kb. I don't recall it ever increasing in the last while.

I was just wondering if the process that creates this file is broken and maybe the old IPs expire and get removed from the csv file but the new SPAM IPs don't get added.

Or maybe it is working and the last year or so has seen less IPs being used by spammers (I have a hard time thinking this is true)

#2 2023-11-25 12:15 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Re: Listed IP Addresses Legacy Zip file Missing SPAM IP Addresses?

I've sent a PM just now to pedigree (our site admin) asking him to look at your post.

#3 2023-11-26 3:22 am

pedigree
uıɐbɐ ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ buıʎnq ɹǝʌǝu ɯ,ı

The database contains a rotating list of spam records and anything older than a year is removed

It's entirely possible (and likely) that more spam is being sent from fewer distinct IP addresses than 2 years ago.  This would explain the slow drop in the total number of IP addresses listed.

I will however look over the code to verify that I haven't cocked something up

#4 2023-11-27 1:17 pm

JesterMagic

Okay thanks for checking into it.

Board footer